1. The purpose of the Component System is to remove heat from systems which may contain radioactive water such as the Reactor Coolant System, Chemical and Volume Control System and residual Heat Removal System, etc. to the Essential Raw Cooling Water System for release to the environment.
2. The Component Cooling System is a closed loop, so it as a barrier between radioactive systems and the environment.
3. The operated at lower pressure than any system with which it interfaces, so it will collect leakage.
4. The typical Component Cooling System is used during all phase of plant operation, including shutdown and post-accident.
5. The typical Component Cooling System consists of CCS pumps. Thermal barrier water pumps, heat exchangers, surge tanks, CCS pump seal water collection unit and associated valves, piping and instrumentation.
6. The typical Component Cooling System consists of the system water due to temperature changes or inleakage, as well as providing a continuous water supply until a small leak in the system can be isolated.
7. The function of thermal barrier booster pumps is to circulate cooling water through the reactor coolant pump thermal barrier.
8. The Essential Raw COOLING Water System (ERCW) also called the service water system is used during all phases of operation to remove heat from essential and non-essential loads, such as emergency diesel generators, containment ventilation system.
9. The ERCW is an open system, using water from the environment and discharge back to the environment.
10. The Condenser Circulating Water System supplies cooling water to the condensers to condense exhaust steam from the low pressure turbine and to the Raw Cooling Water System.
11. The Raw Cooling Water System is non-essential system which is provides for removal of heat from turbine building loads, as well as some non-essential loads in the auxiliary building.
12. The Spend Fuel Pit Cooling System is designed to remove the decay heat generated by stored spend fuel assemblies and to purify the water in the spent fuel pit.